1. Industry

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

How-To Clean Stainless Steel Appliances

By November 11, 2004

The Stainless Steel Information Center provides a free guide explaining the best ways to clean and care for your BBQ Grill and other stainless appliances. It covers effective cleaning methods for routine cleaning, fingerprints and smears, stubborn stains and discoloration, grease, blood, burnt-on or baked-on foods, and grease and oil.   Get a Copy>>

Comments

October 14, 2008 at 7:55 pm
(1) Tina says:

I have waterfall like streaks appear on my refrig door the stainless steel polish takes it off but it comes back, There is no water that goes on the door to mark it, What would cause this to happen?

November 11, 2008 at 8:18 pm
(2) Rhonda says:

I have the same problem and am eager to hear suggestions to resolve it.

November 23, 2008 at 9:46 pm
(3) Maggie says:

You can remove streaks and finger prints by using furniture polish or oil on a clean soft cloth. Just wipe it on and watch it disappear.

January 24, 2009 at 10:09 pm
(4) Diane says:

The furniture polish works! Thank You so much

March 24, 2009 at 2:07 pm
(5) gretchen says:

How does one get rid of the “wax” build-up from cleaners used on stainless steel appliances?

April 14, 2009 at 6:01 am
(6) Jules says:

Use baby oil applied using kitchen roll to clean stainless steel. Amazing results!!!

April 24, 2009 at 11:15 am
(7) Khauhelo Japie says:

how do i remove a scratches on my stainless steel fridge? i think i used a rough cloth to clean?

May 3, 2009 at 4:09 am
(8) Blake says:

OK GUYS here is the low-down.

The (in my professional opinion) most effective method of cleaning and treating Stainless appliances is with the use of mineral oil. Using a clean cloth apply the oil (sparingly you don’t need much) to the machine. Use long straight wipes. Then wipe the excess off with a dry towel. IT IS THAT EASY! =)

The oil will leave behind a thin film which will keep water/grease from staining your machine! Re-apply as necessary.

BE ADVISED! the use of oil Can/May slightly change the color of your machine, test in an inconspicuous corner and see if you mind the effect.

As far as scratches go, really anything deeper than 1/32 of an inch will require the machine to be refinished. IE re brushed. Compound sanding will leave you tired and frustrated.

Experience: I work for a major appliance retailer and you better believe my display machines look sharp!

August 17, 2009 at 5:17 pm
(9) Laura says:

Blake, I have a new Maytag refrigerator and it says don’t use any petroleum based products, no citrus no vinegar, no window cleaners just mild detergent (which does not work). Help!

September 2, 2009 at 11:13 am
(10) Jan says:

I have a stainless steel cooker hood with tall chimney. How do i get small stubborn greasespots off? Ive tried soap and water and Cif stainless steel cleaner to no effect.

October 12, 2009 at 11:28 am
(11) george says:

I have a stainless steel wall hood that is partially doscolored due to grease fire. How do you get rid of the soot and looking new again

October 15, 2009 at 7:41 pm
(12) Kaye says:

I tried the baby oil on my stainless steel refrigerator, it works great! It took away the streaks that the “Easy Off” stainless steel polish left.

May 13, 2010 at 9:05 am
(13) O.C.D. says:

We just purchased a floor model fridge that had several fingerprints, water marks, plus more on it. I read many suggestions on line. My easy off oven cleaner says :for Stainless steel surfaces” on it so I gave it a shot on a small spot on the side of the fridge. To my surprise it worked!! I left that spot that I cleaned over night just to be sure it did not do any damage. It was fine in the morning. Just did the entire fridge and finished with vinegar to remove the residue. Lokks awesome. I will not use the easy ff again because of the fumes and simply because it is NOT a stainless steel “cleaner”. But it did the job and now I will buy a real cleaner to maintain the look.

January 28, 2011 at 9:43 am
(14) June Weller says:

I am desperate to find a cleaner that will remove fat stains from my backsplash (which is stainless steel) from the back of my cooker. It is disgusting and I,m ashamed of it. Please help?

Regards June Weller