1. Industry

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Terence Bell

Improve Your Darts Game with Rhenium

By May 16, 2012

An extremely rare refractory metal, rhenium is most often found in superalloys, alloys that are extremely Rhenium dartsdurable and resist deformation at high temperatures, such as those used jet turbine engines.

One of the more unique uses for rhenium, however, has been in dart barrels. Rhenium's use in darts began not because of its heat resistance or strength, but because of its density.

Rhenium is amongst the most dense metal elements (it is only surpassed in weight by iridium and platinum), which means that rhenium dart barrelshave the highest mass to volume ratio available of any dart. (Actually the barrels are made of atungsten-rhenium alloy containing about 5% rhenium).

The increased density allows for a sleeker, thinner design that theoretically - although I don't know that it would my game much - leaves more space to hit three treble 20s.

Image: Rhenium-tungsten alloy darts. Copyright A180 Darts Ltd. www.a180.co.uk

Comments

May 21, 2012 at 6:35 pm
(1) Richard says:

High density means large mass/volume ratio

May 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm
(2) metals says:

You’re right. I’m glad someone is paying attention :) Correction made.

May 24, 2012 at 5:45 pm
(3) LanthanumK says:

Finally there is a household source for rhenium. I hope that I can find some of these darts.

October 11, 2012 at 6:00 pm
(4) Jamie says:

I love my rhenium darts but don’t no what size stem is best. Long stems I hit the trebal 20 but nothing eals short I can hit more but when it comes to scoring, it’s 81 26 85 45 100. And was wondering what over people use???

March 7, 2013 at 11:36 am
(5) redhedkev says:

I have the Rhenium 21 gram “B” barrel dart that I bought on eBAy.
I believe that they are not manufactured anymore and only came in 21 & 22 gram weights and an “A” barrel (smoother knurling) and a “B” barrel (deeper knurling).
The price has come down considerably from the near $100 per set of three, perhaps because they were discontinued. to about $79.00.
I prefer a shorter stem due to their relative light weight and my throwing style.
I am waiting for a delivery of Cosmo Fit-Flights and “In-between” carbon shafts. In-between short and medium although now Fit-Flight uses a scale of 1-8, 1 being Xtra-Short, 8 almost a javelin.
I do like the heavy compact feel of this ‘pencil dart’. It’s only 5 o/o Rhenium, 95 o/o Tungsten. Wolfram is an archaic term for Tungsten, so “95 o/o Wolfram Tungsten” is just that, Tungsten.

June 28, 2013 at 12:50 pm
(6) mobile marketing manifesto says:

If you have ever wanted to obtain more information about mobile marketing,
then you need to stop what you are doing and read this article.
Being directly connected to your audience is a priority in Mobile Marketing.
Free QR code generators with different customization options are available online which generate QR codes in easy steps that can be shared
across devices and social media platforms for creating a unique brand image.

January 20, 2014 at 11:04 am
(7) Kim says:

Does anyone have a set of rhenium darts barrel b for sale

April 16, 2014 at 8:42 am
(8) Kevin says:

I have a set of the A barrell darts brand new if you’re interested?